On 29 May 2017 three members of our project participated in the roundtable Sovereignty and self-determination in the times of Brexit. The event consisted of a discussion about the consequences of Brexit for the future of the EU. It was organized by Pompeu Fabra University, Institut Barcelona d’Estudis Internacionals (IBEI) and Diplocat.
The evening started with a welcome by David Sancho, Director of the Department of Political and Social Sciences at Pompeu Fabra University, and Albert Royo, Secretary General of the Public Diplomacy Council of Catalonia (Diplocat). Raül Romeva, Minister for Institutional Relations, Transparency and Foreign Affairs of the Government of Catalonia, gave a keynote speech on Catalonia in the EU in the Brexit Era. This was followed by a roundtable in which Jessica Almqvist, Michael Keating, and Jan Wouters explained the possible implications of Brexit for the European project from the perspectives of regional politics and international and EU law.
Welcome and keynote speech
– David Sancho, Director of the Department of Political and Social Sciences, University Pompeu Fabra
– Albert Royo, Secretary General of the Public Diplomacy Council of Catalonia, Diplocat
19.15 Keynote speech: Catalonia in the EU in the Brexit Era
– Raül Romeva, Minister for Foreign Affairs, Institutional Relations and Transparency of the Government of Catalonia
19.30 Round table
– Jessica Almqvist, Professor of International Law at the Autonomous University of Madrid
– Michael Keating, Professor of Politics at the University of Aberdeen
– Jan Wouters, Professor of International Law and International Organizations at University of Leuven
– Chair: Jacint Jordana, Professor of Political Science, University Pompeu Fabra and IBEI